Thursday 15 March 2018

Body Coach Cycle 1

                                       thumbnail_IMG_1016

After Eva was born, I lost my baby weight within a few weeks. Mainly because I gained a stone and that kid weighed half of that. And the reason I didn’t gain much was because eating was so physically painful because of acid reflux that I barely ate during my second and third trimester. So once she was out, I was free to dine on my favourite foods again. This unfortunately mainly consisted of bacon, crisps and croissants.  So within six months, I gained that stone back again. And I felt tired, grumpy and just plain fed up with eating and drinking everything in sight. And it wasn’t about weight or size, I just didn’t feel good. For the first time it wasn’t about me, it was about my health and being healthy for my kid.

Initially I decided to do Slimming World as I’ve seen some amazing transformations on Instagram. However I found that I was using my syn allowance to eat chocolate or crisps. I know restricting these will help me to lose weight but that food isn’t healthy to be having every day. I also found the lack of structured exercise strange. I know that it has worked for loads of people, which is brilliant but it just wasn't for me.




Then, I read a brilliant Instagram post from my fellow Brighton resident and new mum, Emily at Earn Your Roast. Emily wrote a line that just stuck with me and I found myself repeating it to people for days ‘Remember movement isn’t a punishment, it’s a treat’. Why am I not pushing myself to exercise again? I know I enjoy it once it’s part of my routine. I know I’m lucky to be injury free and able to push myself. Exercise is so much more than physical too, it’s some alone time for me, doing something entirely for me. Let’s face it after a baby comes crashing into your world it is rare to achieve this.

That’s when I made the decision to do an overhaul in the New Year. Now I know what you are thinking, not another ‘new year, new me’ story, but honestly there is something I love about starting a fresh and 2018 seemed like the perfect time to embark on that after a festive period of excessiveness. However this time it was different, I was really limited on time. Before I could pop to the gym whenever I wanted or spend as long as needed to prep in the kitchen. Now I was time poor and baby rich. I couldn’t fit in five gym sessions a week, nor did I want to spend such a long time away from her doing hours of cardio. So after some research I decided that the Body Coach plan was the one for me. Quick 25 minute HIIT sessions with quick and healthy meals to boot. I’ve decided to share my experience of the first 30 days on plan with you to give you the highs and lows of the plan and whether it’s feasible with a little one.

After completing my questionnaire with my measurements, it was time to write up my last week food diary. Now in my defence the previous week was Christmas so I wouldn’t say it’s typical but I did end up just copying and pasting ‘Chocolate cake and wine’ under the snacks more times than I would like to admit. After a few days my plan dropped into my inbox and I started getting my planning on.
This plan is a new and improved version of the body coach and what really appealed to me was the ‘real time’ HIIT workouts. I have never done HIITS so I was anxious about my ability especially as I had let my cardio fall by the wayside. And my first workout was hard, 25 minutes in length with 30 seconds on and 30 seconds rest. But it was fun and challenging, changing the exercises up every 30 seconds means that you don’t get bored and you can push yourself to go until the bell rings. And those 30 seconds of rest are just splendid. The plan comes with 5 different workouts which you are encouraged to complete 4-5 times a week. And the best bit of it is that you don’t need any equipment, just a mat. I work out in my dining room either while the baby naps or she watches me with a bemused expression while I jump around. Fitting in the workouts is hard but after week 2 I found myself looking forward to them, even getting up before Eva to make sure I could complete them uninterrupted.
                                       
The premise of the food is that you have a carb refuel meal on days you work out and lower carb options for all other meals. I’m a bread addict so I found this initially very hard to give up. However the food is really delicious. There are about 25 options to pick and mix from, as well as a guide to how to make your own meals. I know a lot of people do all of their meal prep at the start of the week however I found it easier to cook most of the meals fresh every day. Instead I created a meal planner each Sunday. I gave the baby to her dad for some play time and went through my list of meals. Luke ate what I had during the 30 days too and he loved the food too. So it means that you aren't cooking separate meals every night!  And before long I’d forgotten about bread and chocolate. I also didn't drink any alcohol during the 30 days which is recommended.

After 30 days, I have lost 7kg and 11 inches but more than that I feel so much better. I have energy, more alert and generally so much more positive in my mind set. I want to take Eva out to baby classes and walks. I’m looking forward to working out and eating new things. I’m doing this for me but it has benefited all my relationships.
So that was cycle 1, I’ve submitted my results and I’m eagerly awaiting cycle 2 landing!
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

BLOGGER TEMPLATE CREATED BY pipdig